Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Not Just for the French

If there's one thing we can do as Americans is take something French and turn it into a casserole!

I was introduced to the French Toast Casserole at a MOPS (Mother's of PreSchoolers) meeting a few years ago by my friend Amy Goodall...
reasons I love this recipe...
it's highly changeable...
it's a make the night before breakfast (LOVE that)...
it makes the house smell heavenly while it's baking...
and I've never had anyone not ask for the recipe when I've served it...
really good for Christmas morning or large family gatherings....

French Toast Casserole
1 loaf French bread cut into 1 inch cubes
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 pkg. cream cheese
1 1/2 cups milk
2 tsp vanilla (thus making it...ChambersMade)
10-12 eggs
cinnamon (to your liking)

Spray casserole dish with cooking spray.  Put half of the french bread into dish.  Cut the cream cheese into 1 inch pieces and put on top of bread, then cover with rest of bread.  In large bowl mix together eggs, milk, syrup & cinnamon, pour over bread.  Cover and put in fridge overnight.  Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.  Dust with powdered sugar and serve warm with syrup.

Serve with bacon or ham, fresh fruit, and coffee.

Recipe Options:
add any fruit that you'd like, blueberries, strawberries, apples, peaches...
change out the "flavor" of the syrup
add chopped nuts
chocolate chips
for a more "Holiday" flavor add pumpkin spice or dried cranberries and orange zest....

Let me know any changes that you made and how the family reacted...

1 comment:

Chanonn said...

I have a loaf of sour dough I'd like to try something with...but it'd have to be a savory one...think I'm inspired:)