Wednesday, December 9, 2009

the Chops

Okay, for those of you who are my "facebook friends" you might know that I like my crock pot...I might like it more than most; I would venture to say that 5 out of 7 dinners a week come from the crock....tonight's being one of them...

So the first time this was "ChambersMade" it really wasn't by a Chambers, my mom was watching the kids while Beau and I were out of town, so it was "GrandmaLindaMade" and the kids LOVED it...I had googled the recipe and this is the first one I found...and I'm pretty sure Grandma made it as follows...

Pork Chops 'n Applesauce
6 boneless pork chops, browned
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
8 oz can tomato sauce
1/4 cup applesauce
1/4 cup vinegar
Salt and pepper pork chops to taste, place in slow cooker. Place apple sauce on top of the chops, then pour mixture over. Cover, cook on LOW 4-6 hours.

Take 2...The kids raved about how wonderful this was when Grandma made it...so mommy made it...and did the normal crock pot thing, "low for 6-8 hours" not reading the directions too closely....Apparently pork really doesn't need to be on low for that long...and we ended up with more of a Pork Jerky and Applesauce! And I wasn't a huge fan of the tomato sauce and vinegar in the recipe...

Take 3...Made it again...this time leaving out the tomato sauce and vinegar and adding a chopped apple...forgot about the time issue, and once again the chops where a little rough on our chops...

Take 4...Made it again tonight...leaving out tomato sauce & vinegar, adding 1 cup of applesauce, an apple, and then asked Wilson if I should add raisins, he said, "I think cranberries would be better!"...so I also added a handful of dried cranberries...and this time I did remember the time issue and cooked it on low for about 5 hours...

Three of us really enjoyed it, Madison was late to choir and didn't get to eat dinner until after, she thought the apples were potatoes...something I didn't realize she was thinking until much too late...and well, Madison ended up eating crackers and cheese @ 8:30 when we got home from church!

No comments: