Monday, December 21, 2009

Chex Mate

Chex Mix and Christmas just go together...
Well, Chex Mix and any holiday go together...

Sure you can purchase a premade Chex Mix...
and, sure, it's good...

or you can raid your cupboards and panty
and create your own...

I made a wonderful discovery about a year ago...
Chex...they have a website...crazy concept....
www.chex.com and they have a TON of recipes on there...

So, yes, I spent about a week last year making all sorts of different Chex Mix combinations...so YUMMY...
this year, I waited just a bit too long in visiting the website...
didn't have time to go to the grocery store...
and didn't have the desire to get out of my jammies on a Saturday morning...

So I did visit the website...looked at a few mixes that I would like to make...

and then the ChambersMade version...I added up all the cups of cereal involved in one of the recipes...
(around 4 1/2 cups)...
and than raiding my pantry, found some cereals that would work well in a Chex Mix...
Chex (any "flavor")...
Cherrios (any "flavor")...
Honey Nut Shredded Wheat (or any Shredded Wheat)...
Oh's...
Cracklin' Oat Bran...
Granola's...
Puffed Wheat ...
Golden Grahams...

well, you get the idea...
and measured out different amounts to equal the amount needed for the "recipe" I was going to make
Melted some butter and sugar in the microwave (using the amount from the recipe that I was "following" off the website)...tossed it over the cereal mix...microwaved the whole thing for 2 minutes (stirring at the 1 minute mark)...
and threw in a few other odds and ends...
dried cranberries...
mini M&M's (leftover from cookie decorating)...
some chocolate chips...

melted some chocolate chips in the microwave, and poured it over the top...waited for it to cool...and tossed it around, breaking up the melted chocolate...
bag it up (or jar it up) and hand out as a gift to friends or neighbors!

No comments: