Tuesday, January 5, 2010

My First Husband

The first time I got married I was really young...
...like scary young...
.......I shudder to think how young sometimes...

Anyways, my first husband was a great guy...
...kid, almost...he was young too....

He played video games a lot...and then some...
When he would take a break from gaming he might read a video game magazine...
and he'd read a book or two, but he wasn't much of a reader...
...anything western, music, book or movie, was laughable...
he had HUGE pristine collection of Star Wars action figures...
(not dolls, not toys...action figures)...
some still in the original box...
he would stay up late and stand in line for hours to see the newest Star Wars movie...
He was hard to get out of bed on Sunday mornings for church...
     ....and was NEVER going to work at a church in any sort of ministry...

He was really interesting to cook for...
he wouldn't eat nuts; he was allergic to walnuts, but stayed away from all nuts...
he wouldn't eat sour cream...not because he didn't like it...
in fact he'd never tasted it...
but, "if it was sour why would he eat it?"
corn tortillas where a big NEGATIVE...
     so I had to change my enchilada recipe to flour tortillas
the list of vegetables that he would eat was short...
     ...green beens...that was the list...
not only did he hate coffee, he hated the smell of coffee
(who hates the smell of coffee?)
fruit...well fruit was just not in his diet AT all...
and fish was a huge NO, thinking he was also allergic to fish (and he was, to some fish not all), but why risk it.

My current husband, he's a great Man...
...love the guy...
not nearly as young,
    but neither am I...

Plays some video games, but also likes to play board games and card games...
...and would probably prefer to crawl into bed a read a great book...
    ...and, a western book at that!
drinking, yes, you guessed it a nice rich cup of coffee...
...coffee maybe flavored with a pecan creamer (yes, that's a nut!).

And Sunday morning not only did he get up and go to church,
    he took our daughter by himself because I was home with a sick little boy...
Oh, and he's also a pastor, so, he kinda has to go to church on Sundays!

and what did he just eat for lunch, yep, fish tacos...
no not on a corn tortilla, but not because he doesn't like them,
but because we are all out because he's eaten them all!!!
and what was on this fish taco?
cabbage (a vegetable)
and what did he eat with it?
spinach salad (another vegetable)

And what were our kids doing while he was relaxing reading his western book and sipping his coffee?
our kids were playing with his once pristine Star Wars action figure collection...

Yep...
My first husband is my current husband, but the guy I married isn't the man I live with today...
for this I am thankful,
I'm thankful that I was blessed at a young age to meet a great guy...
...and although we were young, that we decided to place our lives in God's hands and that we decided to grow together, as people, as a couple, as parents, in a ministry...

and now the recipe for the Fish Tacos
we call them
Joe's Fish Tacos
6-8 pieces of Trader Joe's Battered Halibut (hence the Joe's Fish)
shredded cabbage
Trader Joe's Cilantro & Chive Yogurt Dip
4 tortillas (corn, flour, or Trader Joe's has a Sun Dried Tomato & Habenero tortilla that is not spicy and wonderful with these tacos!)
Chopped Cilantro
Chopped white onion (Trader Joe's sells pre-chopped onions!)
1 lime

Bake Halibut to package directions (oven).  While Fish is baking, chop up cilantro.
Remove fish from oven, heat tortillas (microwave or toaster oven), spread about 1/2 Tbl of Cilantro Chive Yogurt Dip (more if you want) onto each warm tortilla.  Lay 1-2 pieces of fish (depending on size) onto tortilla, top with cabbage, onion, cilantro, and squeeze a few drops of fresh lime juice on top...



Makes 4 tacos
serve with Cilantro Lime Rice and Re-Fried Black Beans

2 comments:

The Smith Hotel said...

Ah times do change-my hubby has changed so much too-I guess I have as well!!!

Linda said...

Hey, I got a set of dishes just like that for a wedding gift eons ago! But I gave them to my daughter when I was ready to move on to something else. Oh, that was you, Kiera.
I've got to try the fish tacos. I'm almost 99.9% sure your Dad has never had a fish taco, but I love them. Just never ventured into making them. Love ya, Mom