Sunday, January 10, 2010

A Group of Mis-Fit Triathletes...or maybe just me

okay, so it's been what...
a week...
since I went "blog public" with the fact that I'm going to do a Sprint Triathlon in June...
and I went SHOPPING...look at my cute new shoes...


And guess what...I'm still so excited...actually crazy excited about this!
I even asked some friends to join me...

...didn't want to do this alone...

....well, I knew I was doing it with my sister-in-law...
but I wanted local friends (my sister-in-law is 4 hours away)
...I wanted someone to call me and say,
"lets go to the Y today"...
or, "want to go on a bike ride"....
...."lets try the pool today"...
so I asked some friends and lots said YES!

...then, my Dad called and told me he'd help me "train" too...
he was a runner and a swimmer back in the day
(sorry dad...but it's been awhile since I've seen those legs in a pool!)
...and I'm sure he could still kick my bu** at both...
well I might be able to out run him for awhile since he's currently sporting an ankle broke in two spots...
.....

I'm still in a little shock that not only am I doing this but...
...WE'RE doing this...

I love my new group of...
~ Triathletes in Training Buddies ~
we are supporting each other on facebook
my sister-in-law set us up with a fancy facebook group page so we can all support each other no matter where we live...
we are also calling each other, texting each other, and just cheering each other on...

And, if I don't say so myself...
we are a group of
mis-fit triathletes
some of the ladies have done crazy stuff like this before...
some have led very athletic lives...
some have never walked more than a mile or two...
...some led active lives say, in high school...(yep that's me)
most of the ladies have kids...or 5 of them (go Michelle)...
most of us are in our 30's (or turning 30 this year)...
but some are still in their 20's and some are in their 40's...

and one crazy friend is actually...
currently...
pregnant (due any day now)!!!
and she really wants to do this...
I didn't even ask her at first...
because she's
...PREGNANT...
but when she heard us talking about it she said she wanted in...
(she's amazing!)

we might be all over the board in experience and training...
but we are all excited...
we all want to get healthier
...can't speak for all of us, but I know my goal isn't about losing a certain amount of weight, or getting this post-baby body into a certain size pant...
...it is to have a healthy body, and in doing that I teach my kids that being healthy is fun and comes in all sizes...

so what's my plan...how am I training?
January
Walking/running 3 times a week
(my "running support" came in the mail yesterday and it wasn't the happy day that I had hoped, I need to return them and hope for something more doable...)
Biking 3 times a week
February 
walking/running 3 times a week
Biking 3 times a week
combining the 2 at least once a week
swimming once a week
March
Running/biking 4 times a week combing the two
swimming twice a week
April
running/biking 3 times a week-increasing the length
swimming 3 times a week
(goal to have my own bike my April so I can "train" outside of the Y's stationary bikes)
May
running/biking 3 times a week-increasing the length
swimming 3 times a week
at least twice maybe three times I will combine all three

JUNE 6th-"D" Day!!!

so I'm also trying to be practical, and know that my life might not always fit into a box...
okay...my life NEVER fits into a box...
so I also have the Wii Fit and will use that to help with my cardio on days that I can't make it to the Y,
we also affectionately refer to our house as
..."the stair master"...
and I will take advantage of them on other days...

Thanks for the support...I will also post pictures of new work-out clothes once I go shopping for those...
don't worry, no pictures of the "running support" will EVER show up on this blog...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Why is it that women always begin a workout regimine by going shopping?

LWC

Kiera said...

we need to look good while we're shopping...

Kiera said...

I meant to say we need to look good while we're sweating...