Wednesday, January 27, 2010

hmmm...old family recipe

okay...I'm going to break down and share my family's chili recipe...

My mother has always made the best chili...everyone LOVES my mom's chili...
I move out...get married...
and make some chili following the recipe in good ol' Betty Crocker
(my mom's favorite go-to cook book...and mine)...
FAIL...
try again...
this time going to my second go-to cookbook...
Better-Homes-and Garden's cookbook...
FAIL...
don't worry, I will figure this out...so I got online and found a few recipes
(not as many recipe sites 12 years ago as there are today)...
try a few more times...
Fail...Fail...FAIL!!!

okay, so I call up mom...
"Hey, Mom, can you tell me your secret chili recipe..."
...
and now here it goes...
I'm unleashing the famous chili recipe that's been passed down generation-to-generation...
(okay from my mom to me...but I'll pass it on to my children someday!)

ChambersMade Chili...(okay RobertsMade...or maybe ShelbyMade???)
1 lb ground beef (more or less depending on how beefy you like your chili
1 sm onion, chopped
1 sm call tomato sauce
2 cans water
1 can pinto beans, drained
1 can diced tomatoes
1 package Carroll Shelby's Chili mix (can find at almost any grocery store)

1.  Brown ground beef in pan with onions.  drain fat and add remaining ingredients...I ONLY use the seasoning packet out of the Carroll Shelby's mix not the chili powder or the masa powder or the salt...follow the directions on the package...
...
depending on my day I either make this 30 minutes before dinner (it only takes 30 minutes, 25 of that with you just walking thru the kitchen every once in awhile and stirring the pot)...or I throw it in the crock pot mid morning some time...today was a crock pot morning...
top with cheese & sour cream
Serve with corn bread..
use leftovers for a baked potato bar...
...
do you have any favorite "family recipes" that you found out weren't so secret???

3 comments:

Linda said...

OMG, my secrets out! That's OK, this chili is so good that I don't mind sharing my 'secret recipe'! I, too, tried to make chili from scratch multiple, multiple times after I was married and for some reason finally broke down and tried this mix (I am usually always a 'from scratch' kinda gal)and it was so good, I never looked back. So, for all you chili- making impaired people out there, this might be for you.

The Smith Hotel said...

You know that sounds like the Scott family recipe for chili! I LOVE Carroll Shelby's chili-so much so I named my daughter after it! Shelby not Carroll! Just kidding! I actually fell in love with the name Shelby from the movie "Steal Magnolias". But I digress, I really love that chili!

Kiera said...

well Jody, we know that anythings better than Rob's chili!!!