Friday, February 12, 2010

Almost Magic

Madison was star of the week this week in her class...
So, that means on Friday (today) she gets to bring in a treat to share with the whole class,
EVERYONE brings in Rice Krispie Treats (the pre-made store ones)
...Madison wanted that but, "a little different" she said...
After some brainstorming we decided to make the Fruit Loops Rice Krispie Treats...and since I never have Rice Krispie's, Fruit Loops, or Marshmallows in my house it meant a trip to the store after school yesterday ...any mother will tell you that this is
the WORST time of the day to take a child to the store!
...so I'm dreading the trip, knowing that it's going to be filled with Madison whining asking if she can get everything she sees...
 and then asking about dinner tonight...
deciding that she doesn't want that and trying to change my mind!
The whole time I'm trying to fight the crowd of other mothers that had to bring their school aged kids to the store who are also whining like crazy...
I'm repeating my favorite little ditti to myself,
"I will not yell, 
     I will have a nice mommy voice, 
          I will not let the whining get to me."
over and over again when it happened...

Magic happened... YES, Magic!

right there in WinCo...
Madison was in a great mood after school...I was in a great mood...all the other mothers at WinCo were in a great mood...
We walked casually to the baking aisle to pick up the marshmallows, we had a few choices, regular, strawberry or chocolate marshmallows (yes, they now make chocolate marshmallows!).  Madison, of course, chose the strawberry (pink) ones, then a nice casual walk to the cereal aisle.  My plan was to go "healthy" on the treats and use the new Fruit Cheerios...healthy plan foiled when they were more than twice the price of the generic Fruit Loops (Fruity O's, or something really creative like that)...
And this is when the real honest to goodness magic happened...I saw Chocolate Cheerios (ON MAJOR SALE) right next to Chocolate Chex (ON MAJOR SALE) and remembered the Chocolate Marshmallows....so we bought the Fruity O's, some Rice Krispie's and BOTH Chocolate Cereals and went back to grab the chocolate marshmallows...
mommy's got a plan....a magic plan!

Madison and I came home and made the Strawberry-Fruit Loops-Rice Krispie Treats.  Okay this is were the magic gets a little sticky.  Everyone always says how EASY Rice Krispie Treats are to make...I have a problem with this statement.  Okay, yes there might be just a few ingredients and yes the steps might be few...but the whole process is VERY sticky...
I HATE sticky!
I think this is why I never make these sticky treats, they're sticky to make, they're sticky to eat, and then you have sticky kids to clean up afterwards, not to mention the sticky that has now found itself onto every surface of your kitchen!
Anyways, I powered thru, braved the sticky and conquered these "easy" treats...

Strawberry-Fruit Loops-Rice Krispie Treats
1 bag Strawberry Marshmallows
1/4 bag of regular Large Marshmallows (this was a very rough est)
1 stick (8 Tbl) butter
1 tsp vanilla
5 1/2 cups Fruit Loops (or Fruity O's, or Fruit Cheerios, or any other Fruit type cereal)
5 1/2 cups Rice Krispies

In VERY large microwave safe bowl melt the marshmallows and butter together (high for 1 minute, stir, high for 1 min stir, continue until melted), stir in vanilla and then slowly add cereals...(you will now have sticky up to your elbows, some in your hair, and just a little behind your left knee) .  Spread onto a grease cookie sheet and let cool.

Time for mommy's Chocolate Magic!

Chocolate Cereal Marshmallow Treats
1 bag Chocolate Marshmallows (think they may be Chocolate/Vanilla swirl)
1/4 bag of regular Large Marshmallows (this was a very rough est)
1 stick (8 Tbl) butter
1 tsp vanilla
5 1/2 cups Chocolate Cheerios (or another Chocolate cereal)
5 1/2 cups Chocolate Chex (or another Chocolate cereal)
2 cups Chocolate Chips, or M&M's or other chocolate treat (optional)

In VERY large microwave safe bowl melt the marshmallows and butter together (high for 1 minute, stir, high for 1 min stir, continue until melted), stir in vanilla and then slowly add cereals...gently fold in optional Chocolate Chips or M&M's.  Spread onto a grease cookie sheet and let cool.


So, I overcame my fear of sticky (by the way, this is genetic, passed down from my father who has a fear of sticky, I have a fear of sticky and my daughter has a fear of sticky!), and now have some wonderfully magic treats on my kitchen table...

1 comment:

Kelly Jackson said...

Both sound heavenly. I must try...when I'm not dieting anymore. I put on your FB that I have used Trix as well and they are fab!