Saturday, February 26, 2011

What's for Dinner?

so this was on my menu for this past week...
but with a house full of sickies we've been eating jello, applesauce, saltines and chicken noodle soup...

but I wanted to post because it's a fast easy dinner for a winter night.


Easy Ground Beef Stroganoff
1 lb ground beef (or 1/2 lb ground turkey & 1/2 ground beef)
1 onion chopped
2 stalks of celery chopped
1 can cream soup (cream of mushroom would be traditional stroganoff but my family doesn't eat the fungus so we do cream of celery)
1 cup sour cream
can of fungus drained or fresh chopped fungus (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
rice or egg noodles (cooked to package directions)

1.  Brown meat with onion and celery.  Drain off fat and stir in cream soup.  Cover and simmer for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
2.  Stir in sour cream and mushrooms (optional).  Heat until warmed thru, about 5 minutes.
3.  Serve over warm rice or egg noodles.

this is a great throw down meal with things I usually have on hand, I have substituted half & half for sour cream before, just used less....
I've also made it with cream of chicken when I've been out of cream of celery...
and I usually serve with green beans on the side, but any green veggie will do.

you can also make this in the crock pot (not that you need to, it cooks up so fast...) but just put the beef, onions, celery and cream soup in the pot in the morning and then add the sour cream about an hour before eating....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wanted to make beef stroganoff when Ryan got back from Haiti, and he said, "NO WAY!!" Apparently, that's pretty much what they ate the whole time (until he got sick and lived off his beef jerky and granola bars he brought). =) But, I've made it since them, yum!