Saturday, February 26, 2011

Put the Lime in the...Chicken!

side note...
this information may be incriminating for my mother-in-law...I have a wonderful image of my daughter and her Grandma Kathy singing, "put the lime in the coconut," while dancing around with panties on their head...and I chuckle every time I hear that song or a version of the song...
image from google images

anyways, back on track...
Pepper Lime Chicken with Pesto Pasta (recipe follows)
Chicken Breast (I make only 2 for my family, but you can do this for however many you want)
2-3 limes
1 Tbs oil
2 cloves garlic (mined or grated)
1 tsp dried thyme or basil
1/2-1 tsp ground black pepper (more or less depending on your taste*)
1/4 tsp salt

1. Rinse and pat dry chicken and set aside. Slice one lime into circles, juice & zest other lime...you will need about 1/4 cup lime juice & 1 tsp zest.
2.  To make glaze mix together lime juice, zest, oil, garlic, thyme/basil, pepper, & salt.
3.  Place chicken pieces on unheated rack (or pan) of a broiler**, brush with glaze.  Broil for about 10 minutes, turn chicken and re-glaze, place under broiler for another 10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink (I use a meat thermometer to tell when it's done, 170 degrees for breasts).
4.  Serve warm with sliced limes on top.
*I make my glaze with less pepper, and then while I'm glazing the chicken add more pepper to the chicken piece my husband will eat since he likes more pepper than everyone else.
**I have also used this glaze for chicken on the grill or for a whole chicken in the crock pot.

serve with Pesto Pasta or over rice with broccoli.

Fresh Pesto
1 -2 cups fresh basil-rinsed
1/2 cup pine nuts or walnuts (I've only ever used pine nuts)
1/4 cup olive oil (or walnut oil)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
1-2 cloves garlic

1.  Place basil and nuts into food processor and blend until finely chopped.  Add garlic and oil, pulse until garlic in chopped and oil is incorporated into basil/nut mixture.  Slowly add the cheese until you have a consistency that you want.
Serve over cooked pasta or as a dip or spread.
this recipe makes enough to chill or freeze 1/2 for another time.  Refrigerate up to 2 days, freeze for up to 3 months.

We made the pesto recipe at church with groups of kids when we were learning about Italy.  All the kids helped in the process,  it's a great recipe for them to make all by themselves (with you in the kitchen) since all the cutting is done by the food processor and is nicely contained inside the processor bowl...then they ate it with slices of bread...

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Kiera ! I guess you have done away with the adage that "what happens at Grandma's s.t.a.y.s at Grandma's" ?? But who cares ! However, as I remember it (and there is video to prove, somewhere) it was Madison who had the panties on HER head while Grandma sang the song, but they BOTH laughed their heads off and had waaay too much fun that afternoon ! :D
(Oh, the recipe for the chicken looks very good !)
Love you !
Kathy