Tuesday, December 14, 2010

What to do with those Cards?!?!

Everyone has the same question....
     every year.....
          What am I suppose to do with all the Christmas Cards?

blog edit...I forgot to dedicate this blog to Betsy Fowers...she begged and begged me to make this post...okay, so maybe she just suggested I do it...anyways...thanks Betsy!

we know the time, effort, money, that goes into the cards every year
we shudder to think that our Christmas card is getting tossed into the trash at someone else's house....
....
yet we have no good way to display the cards that come thru our doors....

a few years back...must have been at least 8...
(wow...that's longer than I thought! but I did it in our apartment too, and this is our 6th Christmas in this house...)
I came up with this solution...
clipping them to a ribbon/wooden cranberry hanging thingy...
yep, that's my official term...


I hang the ribbon/wooden cranberry hanging thingy over our entry way into our living room...
at our apartment I used this same thing but hung it on a wall that had a large empty space...
*you could do this over a mantel, 
*somewhere in your entry way, 
*stairways always have some empty spaces...
*if you have an 'open' kitchen to dining room set up but with a bank of cabinets between the kitchen and dinning room you can put them on the back of the cabinets 
*a wall in your dinning room...

then I clip them onto the ribbon using mini clothespins that I picked up in the craft section at WalMart (I think)...I'm thinking next year I need to change it up (to go with my more greenish theme...the new tree skirt and all) and might hit the stores after Christmas to see what I can replace the wooden cranberries with, and I like the idea of changing out the clothes pins for colorful paperclips...


this is a close up of the 'how'...I hang the ribbon/wooden cranberry thing with these 3M removable hook things, I have been using them for 6 Christmas's and have actual never taken them down since they are clear and don't stand out...and then I'm able to use them for other decorations during the year, like birthday banners and stuff!
the girl child's birthday banner hanging from the 3M hanger thingys....

anyways...I think it's a nice way to display the cards that everyone has spent time and money on....
and bonus...EVERYONE that comes over during the season gets to see all the cards, and I always catch someone standing there looking at all the cards, feels good to know that the effort that my friends put into their Christmas cards are being appreciated.

6 comments:

Lisa Lee said...

Great idea! I have a manzanita branch ive cemented into a pot that I use to display my cards....tie them on with pretty sting and ribbon. Last year I kept the tree up with cards for about 6 months! Hated to take down everyones pictures. When I do finally take them down I put them in a binder and keep them...so fun to look through over the years and see how families have grown!

Mr. Smith@TheSmithGarage said...

So what do you do with the cards/pictures after Christmas, do you keep them up for a bit? We put ours on the back of the front door with some scotch tape, nice display but still have the question of what to do after?

Thanks for sharing.

Kelly Jackson said...

You could also paint the clothes pins to make them a little more festive, but cute idea regardless. I have a sleigh basket that I put ours in.

Linda said...

Thanks for the blog, Kiera, I've always liked how you displayed the cards/photos.
Lisa - I love the binder idea! Always hate to throw away photos and they just kind of accumulate in a misc pile that eventually finds its way to the trash.

Basking in the Son said...

I like the 3M hook idea. We did a "clothesline" of cards several houses ago, but since then I haven't found a good place to hang them.

Julie Chambers said...

Cute! I like this better than sitting in a basket on the cabinets!

As for the "what to do afterwards" -- I cut out all the pictures from the cards and make one big collage. I frame it in a simple poster frame; I sometimes use scrapbook paper as a large mat behind the photos if I don't have enough pictures to fill the space. It hangs in our hallway with other framed photos for the rest of the year. I also save and add birth announcement photos and school pictures to the xmas card photos. I feel it's a nice way to keep and enjoy the pictures all year. Then each January, I take the collage out and make a new one with all the new xmas photos.