Tuesday, November 23, 2010

can't believe I haven't shared

just got a call from a friend requesting this recipe, and I searched and searched my blog and soon realized that I have yet to share this recipe with you guys...shame on me!
This is a family favorite...
   it took me a few years to get just the perfect flavor and texture...
so this is my personal recipe 
and YES, mom I know it has a LOT of sugar
but it is a SWEET corn bread 
(no southern corn bread for this family)...
Beau calls it my corn cake...
sweet enough that no honey is needed in the eating of it, just lots of buttah! 
     (unless of course you want it, whipped honey butter recipe follows!) 
Oh, and I always double and put in a 13 x9...but I understand that's a LOT of corn bread for most families! 
I also just made this recently and served it with Whipped Honey Butter...so very yummy! (recipe following)



Sweet Corn Bread
1/4 cup butter
1 cup milk
1 large egg
1 1/4 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour (also good with whole wheat, use it about half the time I make it, when I remember)
2/3 cup sugar
1 Tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

1. Grease bottom and sides of an 8x8 sq or 9" round pan or muffin tins. Preheat oven to 350.
2. In microwave safe bowl melt butter stir in milk and egg, Stir in remaining ingredients all at once just until it's all moistened; do not over mix, batter SHOULD be lumpy. Bake for 25-35 min until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean.



Whipped Honey Butter
Soften Butter-not melted
Honey
place as much softened butter as you want (at least 2 sticks, 1 cup) into a mixing bowl or kitchen aid mixer and mix using the whipping attachment (looks like a wire whisk) on med-med high slowly start adding honey 1 tsp at a time until butter is as sweet as you want.


this is great to serve with chili, soups, roasts, side dish for Thanksgiving...might make a good cornbread stuffing (but I personally don't like stuffing!).

4 comments:

Linda said...

This is pretty close to the recipe I used to make (Dad has decided he doesn't like his cornbread quite as sweet anymore?? go figure!) What I really wanted to share is that I've discovered that I can also add a couple tablespoons of ground flax seed, slightly less oil(butter), and I still really like the flavor.

Unknown said...

I'm totally making this tomorrow night with chili!

Unknown said...

YUM! Thanks for the recipe we all adore it! This will be my go to recipe from now on!

Unknown said...

I posted this link to my blog on my menu planning this week! =)
http://rookietorockstar.blogspot.com/2012/12/meal-plannin-monday_17.html