Saturday, March 6, 2010

Stickin' it to 'The Man'

I think I have a problem...

I'm coming clean and admitting my problem to all you right now...

I can't just leave good enough alone...I have to just mess with it...
why?
I think it's my way of breaking the rules...

See, I'm a good girl,
I follow all the rules,
I get upset when others don't follow the rules
   rules were meant to be followed not broken!!!
Stay in line, no cutting
Color inside the lines
Go the speed limit (or no more than 5 miles over)
First come first serve
Do what your told and what's expected of you
Do your own work, don't cheat
Say please and thank you
Raise your hand
Plastic and Paper in the blue bin, green waste in the green bin, trash in the gray bin
Don't mix Plaid and Floral together...
No white shoes after Labor Day (okay, so I'm not that bad)...

But then give me a recipe or a pattern and I BREAK the rules!  So really I guess I'm a rebel at heart!  It's my way of "stickin' it to the MAN"...or woman or whoever wrote the recipe in the first place.
Or making my own rules...

So, we had company the other night (well, we have company every Tuesday night, we're hosting an eight week Bible/Book study and one of the couples eat dinner with us before hand)...and it was breakfast for dinner...

The menu-French Toast, scrambled eggs (my husbands specialty), bacon (the other husbands specialty), and fresh fruit...
but could I just make French Toast?  NO...I wanted stuffed French Toast...but I didn't want to look up a recipe (and you can't make me!)...so I just decided to figured it out...and then when my friend Rayna showed up (she's also a rebel and breaks the rules...but I think she even breaks the "real" rules!)...So I figured out the "stuffed" part and she figured out the "French" part...

so here's our version of
Stuffed Blueberry French Toast
2 loaves French Toast (we used one regular and one whole wheat loaf), cut into 2 1/2 inch slices
8 oz cream cheese
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup frozen blueberries, at room temp (roughly...I really just poured in the amount I wanted and called it good)
6-7 eggs
1 cup milk
1-2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350.  Grease cookie sheet with baking spray.
Cut slits into the sides of bread slices.  Mix cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and blueberries together; stuff into slits of bread.
Mix eggs, milk, vanilla and cinnamon in pie pan or other shallow dish, dip stuffed bread slices into egg mixture until just coated, place onto cookie sheet.  Bake for 10 min on one side, turn over and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve straight out of oven, top with butter, maple or blueberry syrup and fresh fruit...

No comments: