Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Baked Memories

flipping thru a cook book the other day...
yep, I read cook books sometimes....

I saw a recipe for a Puffed Oven Pancake....
it was on the same page as wonderful fluffy melt in your mouth supreme baking powder biscuits (that's a blog for another day!)

anyways....as I made my biscuits later that night I kept thinking about the puffed oven pancake...
...and remembering...

remembering yummy lazy Saturday's and this thing my parents called a German Pancake...

so I went back to the cook book and read the recipe...it seemed like it was very close to what I remembered as a little girl....

so I put it on the menu...
and then the husband asked, "What's a Puffed Oven Pancake?"

so I decided to make it up last night....

so happy that I did that...
and guess what...it was so easy...and it was all gone when dinner was over...


Puffed Oven Pancake aka German Pancake
2 Tbs butter
3 eggs
1/2 cup flour
1/2 milk
1/4 tsp salt

1.  Place butter in 9-10 inch pie plate or oven proof skillet.  Place in 400 degree oven for 3-5 minutes or until butter melts.  Meanwhile, for batter in a medium bowl using a wish or egg beater, beat eggs until frothy,

add in flour, milk and salt;  beat until mixture is smooth.

Immediately pour batter into the hot pie plate.

Bake for 20-25 minutes or until puffed and well browned.

Serving Options...
I heated up some apricot jelly in the microwave and Beau and I topped our pieces with butter, apricot jelly and powdered sugar...
the kids used just regular syrup and powdered sugar...
any type of fruit on top is so good...berries, pears, peaches...
nuts, whipped cream...
my dad use to eat his with lemon juice and powder sugar....

this was everything I remembered as a girl but better...better because it was so simple...

and here are a few pictures of the kids helping with dinner last night...




the boy child browning the sausage...and yes he's cooking in his red underwear...is there anything cuter than a little boys tush in red boxer briefs?
and taught the girl child to make scrambled eggs...she did the eggs all by herself last night...and they were great!

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Brand new to me....this dish is not a memory of mine, but I would like it to be ! Looks and sounds really yummy ! ( I love the 'helpers', and I love all the eaters as well...very much.)