Saturday, May 29, 2010

Where's the Cake...I Thought I Saw a Cake

oh, wait...it's camouflaged!

at the beginning of this week a friend on facebook posted a plea for a camouflaged birthday cake for her son...

I've never actually made one before, but knew I could make it with fondant...and since I was also making Wilson's rainbow cupcakes for preschool I knew I could also make the inside of the cake camo looking...so I told her I was interested and she took me up on the offer...

so I made the same recipe that I did for the rainbow cupcakes

and then split the batter into 4 different batches...it doesn't have to be even batches, and you can do any color you want, this would be fun to make blue camo for a baby boy shower, or for an ocean birthday
or do blues and greens for an "earth day" party...
or a pink and brown camo for a little girl
... or even a baby shower...
and you could color it brown or use chocolate mix with the yellow cake dyed pink...
or a strawberry cake mixed with a chocolate cake...
ohhh, I'm going to have to make that....

oops, tangent...
so I had three different shades of green and a brown (forgot to take pictures along the way)
then just globed them into the cake pans in different amounts and in different places...don't over think it, just do it.

then bake according to the size of pan you are using

let cool, and then cut the cakes to make them level

I then frosted and layered them with a chocolate butter cream frosting (didn't get a picture of that)..

set aside the cake and start working on the fondant...
I buy the Wilton brand that's pre-made...you can get it at Michaels or WalMart...
now if you've never used fondant before you should try...
it's like play-dough that you can eat...and cover cakes with...and make lots of fun stuff....
the camo cake is a pretty easy one to start with because you really can't mess up the look of camo...

divide up the fondant and start coloring the different batches the colors you want for the camouflage
 then I use the Wilton food colors, you can use less and get a really rich color...

I mix the color into the fondant inside a bag otherwise your hands will be COVERED in color...

then lay out your colors and start rolling
the directions on the box of fondant tell you to use powdered sugar rather than flour, the sugar just makes it all sticky, I was told by a friend a long time ago to use corn starch and it works great!



add some more and just have fun


then I wanted to add some camo words
I really wanted to put "Happy Birthday" but it was too big and would have all globed together...
so the birthday boy, Drew was turning 10, so I just camouflaged the #10 and his name into the top



then very carefully, with the help of my husband, lifted the fondant and layed it on the cake
smoothed it down, trimmed off the excess and then made some little camo balls to put around the base


I was going to make some bullets...
but they turned out looking not so much like bullets 
....and a little more like something I didn't want to put on the top of a 10 year old boy's birthday cake...
so I suggested to the mom to maybe add some army men to the top of the cake...

I hope they enjoyed it...maybe I can get mom to send me some pictures of the kids eating it the cake and I will add those....

1 comment:

Linda said...

I'm verry impressed! When are you going to start making cakes and selling them?