Monday, May 31, 2010

Is This is Really Happening

wow...is this actually happening?  are we really doing this...

I'm not an unhealthy girl...
but I'm no athlete...
I'm not overweight 
(even if the Wii Fit keeps telling me I am!)
I'm just built different than some...

I have never done or been tempted to do any major, 
or non major athletic event in my life 
(okay so I ran like a 3K in high school...or maybe it was 1.5 K)

when I've heard of other that do major events
100+ bike rides, marathons, triathlons, etc, I respect them for doing it
(all the while thinking in my head that they must me slightly crazy)...
but then, back in December my sister-in-law invited me to do the Mermaid Sprint Triathlon...

Mermaid...
it's all women (I like that)
it's a tri (three events, swim, bike, run)
it's a "sprint" meaning that all three events are short...and when I say short, I mean short for typical athletes...which I am not...so this doesn't feel so short to me...

so thinking that I'd talk myself out of it if I invited some friends and we all bow out gracefully....

so that's what I did...I invited some friends to join me...and I must have sent it to the wrong friends 
because rather than getting 100% , "No thank you!"

I got a few, 
"YES, lets do this!"...
oops...
now I'm in...
can't get out now...

I had a few hundred excuses reasons I couldn't do it...
very valid excuses reasons

and a very few reason why I could...
but somehow the "coulds" won over the "could nots" 
and now it's less than a week away...
YIKES
did I just type that...
6.5 days to be exact!

it's been a very wonderful experience training with these women...
we've become a sister hood
the mamas that didn't think they could...overcoming and are DOING!

working around out of shape bodies...
old equipment...
families...
sick kids...
school schedules...
different gyms or no gyms...
dietary restrictions...
work schedules...
financial limitation...
and the list goes on and on

we all had reasons why we couldn't do this...
but we all made the choice...
the choice to challenge ourselves
the choice to become healthier
the choice to support each other
to have fun 
to do something outside the box...


two Saturdays ago we went out and did a mini version of the already short triathlon...but it was still fun to "test" ourselves...and we went out again this past Saturday

editors note...a major difference between men and women...how many men would have tried to figure out a way to get a picture of themselves in their wet-suits...this was done by hanging the camera on a branch from a tree and hitting the self timer and hoping the camera didn't twist in the wind...only took 4 times....

can I just tell you how freezing cold that lake water is!...YOWZA!...it's freezing...it was snow minutes before it was in that lake!  do you see the snow in the upper left corner...the water we are swimming in was at the top of the mountian just minutes before we were swimming in it!

...look for my blog in about a week and a half when I'm home and recovered from the real thing!


No comments: