Wednesday, April 11, 2012

veggies for lunch

yep...I did that yesterday...
...maybe I was feeling a little vegetarian...
just a little...

so I just decided to have some carrots...
and that was my lunch...carrots....

carrots wrapped up in some cake and frosting!
This was a leftover slice of one of our Easter desserts...
gotta have a carrot cake for Easter...
am I right?
our other dessert was a buttermilk pie...
have you ever heard of that?
me neither...
stop by tomorrow to hear about this west coast girls 1st buttermilk pie!


Carrot Cake
1 box yellow cake mix
1 package vanilla pudding mix
2/3 cup orange juice
1/2 cup oil
4 large eggs
2 tsp cinnamon
3 cups grated carrots
1/2 cup raisins (optional...I left it out)
1/2 cup coconut or chopped walnuts or pecans (optional...I left it out)
Fresh Orange Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe follows)

1.  Preheat oven to 350.  Line 2, 9" circle cake pans with wax paper and spray.  Set aside.

2.  Mix together cake mix, pudding mix, orange juice, oil, eggs, & cinnamon on low speed for 1 minute.  Stop and scrap down sides, increase mixer to medium and beat for 2 more minutes.  Gently fold in carrots and raisins, coconut, & nuts if using.  Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.
boy child and my sweet niece helping make the cake

3.  Bake for 30-35 min.  Cool completely before frosting.

Fresh Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
1 8z pkg cream cheese (room temp)
1 stick (8 Tbl) butter (room temp)
3 tsp orange juice
zest of one orange
4 cups powdered/confectioners sugar

Cream together cream cheese and butter, slowly add orange juice, orange zest and powder sugar.  Frost your cake.
this girl appreciates good veggies
and that my friend was my lunch yesterday....just some good ol fashion carrots!

1 comment:

Linda said...

Really sorry we missed Easter at your house!! Carrot cake & buttermilk pie!!