Tuesday, January 17, 2012

word

okay, so I'm pretty sure the whole
pick-a-word-for-your-year thing started last year (2011)
I didn't pick one last year...
wasn't going to pick one this year...


trying to get a pic of the kids
dressed for their Christmas concert @ church
but this pesky word just keeps popping into my head and heart 
it stared back in early December
I kept hearing this word 
softly hearing it whispered in my heart

the girl and I bought matching purple flats
she can wear women's sizes now!
and I decided ...
when I kept hearing in into January...
it must be my 2012 word...
or maybe it's my word for the 2011-2012 winter season...
maybe it's until our children graduate

maybe it's my lifetime word....

we raked leaves yesterday...middle of January

you may have noticed...all 3 of my readers
joking- I know I have like 7 people that read...
that I haven't been posting/writing a lot of blogs
the reason is my new word...

the girl child has always wanted a yard, with trees and leaves
so we can rake piles of leaves for her to jump into...
yesterday her dream came true...
I spent December enjoying our kids
soaking up the simple cozy memories
of just hanging out

the girl baked her first cake
we did nothing hugely important
no major trips (besides to the in-laws)
no major events took place

Gingerbread House competition 2011...
boys vs girls...in a blind voting the grandparents voted for the boys
so the girls house was consumed and the boys went on display

we spent December just being
lots of down time
lots of reading
lots of cuddling
lots of tv watching
lots of nice hanging out just being family time

and every time I started to write a blog post, I'd get interpreted to just hang out
and this word kept being whispered in my ear
before New Year's resolutions started
before 'what's your 2012 word?' conversations and blogs were being shared
this word kept settling on my heart

in this season of my life...
maybe the next few months
maybe days or even weeks
maybe the whole of 2012
maybe the next few years, or even decades...
the word that I want to...need to...cling to, hold close to my heart and remember is simply
cherish....
cherish my kids
cherish their laughter
cherish their words
cherish my marriage
cherish my family
cherish my God
cherish my health
cherish my friendships (new and old)

and that's that...
oh, and cherish my blog isn't part of that...
so I have some ideas, some blogs I've written in my head
some recipes I want to share
some crafts I want to finish and blog about
but if sitting down to write that blog takes time away from cherishing any of the above listed items it will probably go unwritten...

thanks for understanding....

lettered cottage linky party

8 comments:

Meredith said...

Loved this.

Brassy Apple said...

such a great word! thanks for sharing!

Kathy said...

A perfect word !

Macey said...

What a great word! And I love those gingerbread houses. :)

ter@waaoms said...

great word for the new year! I hope you have many wonderful opportunities to cherish this year!

I've posted my word of the year on my blog, if you're interested in reading it! :)

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

I love your word! We all should remember to cherish more...

Unknown said...

Love your word!-I am your newest follower from Layla's party-Stop by for a visit!

Linda said...

Wonderful!!