Monday, November 21, 2011

thankful decor

don't usually decorate for Thanksgiving...
it's more of an Autumnal (is that a word?) theme that gets carried thru...

well this year I added a little more to the Halloween decor....
dino bones & pirates
....so this year after Halloween
     I packed away the dino bones &  pirates
          and pulled out some turkeys...

so Welcome,
come in a take a tour of our humble abode...

...give thanks pendant printed from publisher, I made some triangles and put a text box in the middle of each one and used a different font for each letter...then attached with some hemp cord

my 'mantel' aka piano...
 close up...I printed off a definition of the word Thanksgiving...crumpled it up and placed it in a frame..

I also pulled out some scrabble tiles...spelling words I associate with Thanksgiving...
this one is 'pies'
more scrabble Thanksgiving words 'turkey' and 'potatoes'...
'framed' the thankful turkey boy child made at school, took an empty frame, taped some hemp cord across the top and clipped the turkey to it...he wrote what he's thankful for on the tail feathers
family, Jesus, home, friends, God, life...

blog tangent...
he made this in his public school...
this is just one of the reasons my husband and I have made the choice to 'public school' our children...who is to be salt and light to those kids if we take all the Christian kids and home-school or private school them?  no need to argue this, I totally get that different kids and different families need different things, but our kids are wonderful kids and we feel that we have/are raising them up the way God would have us and one thing that these kids are called to do is take God's love into their schools!
end of tangent....

the top of the wall divider/record collection...scattered some leaves and gourds, and then filled a bowl with more gourds...easy peasy lemon squeeze...and festive...

and then I decided to jump on the whole 'thankful tree' bandwagon...
grabbed some sticks from outside and placed them in a jug thingy...
made a bowl of leaves...for people to write what they're thankful for...
and hang on the tree...also made a paper turkey and placed in a frame without glass...
one of the boy child's leaves...
and the girl child...yes, that says, 'I'm thankful for Shawn Cassidy'....
and no it's not 1977....but I'd much rather her crush on Shawn Cassidy than Justin Bieber...

and there you have it...the turkey day decor...
now off to shop for all the fixin's ....
yes,
I know it's only 3 days before...
yes,
I understand the stores are crazy...
but I have the smallest fridge known to woman kind (one step up from a dorm fridge!) and I can only hold a turkey in the fridge for a few days...
if I also want to keep food for all the other meals between now and the turkey feast!

have a great Thanksgiving week, day, feast!

No comments: