Sunday, March 13, 2011

the disaster of 'thoughtfulness'

thoughtfulness and efficiency can have it's downside...

so, I was already feeling sorry for our kids this morning...

thinking poor PK's (Pastor's Kids) have such a rough life...they don't get to sleep in on Sunday's...
and our kids have it even harder because dad's a pastor and mom is the childcare director....
so we BOTH have to be on the campus an hour before 1st service starts...8:45=7:45....

so knowing all this and adding to it the wonderful invention of Daylight Savings Time...and those poor kids are doomed...

and to make it even worse, we were invited over for dinner by some friends from church last night and didn't leave there until after 9...knowing we'd have to come home stick the kids in bed and change the clocks forward one hour...so we were really putting the kids to bed at 10!!!

both husband and I are tired when we get to home, and already dreading how early we will have to wake the kids up in the morning...

and this is how it went down...

I tuck the kids into bed, and crawl into my own bed, role over and stare at my clock and think how this is the STUPIDEST idea ever (even though I think it's genius every fall!)...and I set my alarm clock ahead the one hour that it  needs to be...and fall into a blissfully unaware sleep...

husband comes to bed HOURS later...probably 10 minutes, but I have the spiritual gift of sleep and can fall asleep in seconds...and sees me dead to the world, and does want any sweet and loving husband does, he sets my clock ahead for me...1 hour...and then he goes around the house setting all the clocks forward 1 hour...

my alarm goes off, I role over and look at the 6 o'clock staring at me, role out of bed...
drag myself to the shower...
in route to the shower I notice that the clock on the stove doesn't match the time from my alarm clock...
so I set it ahead 1 hour...
get ready...get the husband up...get the kids up...all of us get ready...
using these two clocks all morning...
my alarm clock that I know I set right the night before and the kitchen clock that I know I set right when I walked thru the kitchen this VERY morning...
and my husband also knows that he set my clock last night (moving it ahead the second time because he had no idea that I had already set it!)....
and that he also set the kitchen clock last night...(that I then moved ahead this morning when it didn't match my alarm clock!)....
we actually get ready pretty good for a family that's draggin'...
we are ready to go, and the husband and I make these old people comments on the way to the van...
'I don't remember it actually being still DARK when we did this last year.'...and
'boy, it's seems way darker this year than last year.'....
and then the families all clicked into the car and we start to back out of the driveway when we notice that the clock on the dash board reads 5:40...
it should read 6:40 because yesterday it would have been 6:40...
but we have Sprung Forward and lost an hour and we need to set it ahead to 7:40...
but why would it say 5:40...
how weird...so we both look at our cell phones
(that have magic within them that allows them to just change time all on their own!)...
and our phones say 6:40...but how is that so???
that is when Beau says,
'Well, I changed all the clocks last night before I went to bed.'...
and I say, 'Yeah, I changed my alarm clock before I fell asleep...'.
B...'What, no, I changed yours for you before I went to bed, I changed all of them..'
Me...'No, I did mine before I went to sleep.'
...this is the moment that we start to think we've done something horrible wrong!
B...'But the kitchen clock...it said the time, we were looking at the kitchen clock too.'
Me...'oh, well...yeah, I changed that this morning on my way to the shower...'
.... silence...chirp, chirp...(only the crickets are STILL sleeping!)
kids...'why are we still in the car and not going anywhere?'

did we REALLY just wake up at 4 AM!?!?

6 comments:

Ann said...

I'm crying laughing so hard!

Unknown said...

Seriously, Kiera...horrible, and yet...undeniably hilarious! Nap day perhaps? Thanks for sharing the laugh at least!

Kathy said...

Hysterical !

Grannie Jan said...

Great story! Great storyteller! Bad coordination!

Linda said...

I'm still laughing! Bedtime at 6pm tonite?

Krystle said...

I could not stop laughing. I then read this to my Mom and we laughed. Then I read it to Trev...and we were hysterical. Maybe lack of sleep made this 10 times funnier than it is...but thank you for entertaining my family :)